Friday, August 23, 2013

its the small rituals that matter


The past few weeks have been pretty rough on my sanity. I keep telling myself I’m going to take a day off, or put aside time to get away, then the day comes and I’ve managed to schedule myself work, sometimes even unexpectedly. July 20th was the last weekend I had an actual day off, and at the rate I’m going the next day I don’t have work scheduled for is September 14th.

It all seems pretty nuts, and going at this speed will eventually kill me, but that’s what I get for owning my own business and it being the first year of operation. I need to put in the hours, do the time, and kick some serious ass. Which * wipes my shoulder * I’m doing.

While I can’t always take the time out I need to recharge, I’ve been doing a few things that are helping me to stay sane.


:: My morning coffee routine

Regardless of how crazy my day is, I try to give myself 2 hours in the morning of just me time. I catch up on any last minute urgent work needs, then spend the rest of the time not doing anything in particular. Most mornings I read a chapter or two of a book, drink my coffee, watch an episode of my latest TV show, or just mindlessly surf the Internet.

On the days I’ve forgotten to give myself this in the morning, I’ve found my days were scattered and a bit crazier than usual. It’s so important to allow yourself moments of unscheduled time. Time to do whatever you want, or nothing at all.


:: Indulging in retail therapy ::

I’m generally not one to indulge too deeply in consumerism. I am pretty frugal in my spending when it comes to my wardrobe, and just about everything else except when it comes to food. I love food. Mm.. Food..

I do a lot of online window shopping, filling up my carts and wish lists without actually buying most things. I like to wait until things go on sale, which let’s face it, that dress you’ve always wanted and finally buy is definitely going on sale the next day after you order it. Or at least, that’s how my luck goes. Recently I’ve been giving myself a monetary budget each month and letting go of my fear of spending money on things I want. To paraphrase that 1983 hit, I work hard for my money, so why shouldn’t I buy myself a few things?

I don’t go crazy, and generally my rule is anything under $20 is a fair grab without any guilt attached to it. If I buy new pieces of clothing, I go through my closet and get rid of a couple of articles of clothing I don’t wear any longer. Checks and balances, it’s working out so far.

:: Having a glass, or two, of wine and smoking a cigarette :: 

Yeah. I do it. Maybe even every night. Maybe I even switch it up and have red one night and white the next. I know, I’m living on the edge. This small little bad habit generally keeps me from wanting to murder someone after a long day. 

The cigarette I could probably cut back on again. My sense of smell is taking a hit, but ugh it’s so good. Is there anything better than sitting out on a porch at night, with a glass of wine and a smoke? Probably not. 

xo




No comments:

Post a Comment